Within his health care practice, Mr. Thornton’s emphasis is on representing physician groups in health care regulations, technology, and corporate and contractual relationships. Generally, he advises clients in various business and health care-related issues, including but not limited to the following:
- Ensuring that clients protect and manage health information to comply with HIPAA and state privacy laws in Tennessee and Mississippi
- Ensuring that clients protect financial and personal information to comply with other state and federal privacy and security requirements
- Counseling clients in their efforts to comply with the legal and regulatory requirements of the federal health program rules
- Assisting clients in the creation of business entities
- Advising clients on general contractual matters
- Counseling governmental entities on HIPAA issues and other regulatory matters related to self-funded health plans
Mr. Thornton serves as corporate, transactional, and regulatory counsel to a wide variety of entities, including but not limited to single and multi-specialty physician practices, privately held and family-owned businesses in both the retail and service industries, medical billing companies,wholesale pharmacies,and health care nonprofit foundations.
Mr. Thornton is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, Health Law Section, the Mississippi Bar Association, the American Health Lawyers Association, and the Memphis Bar Association.